My favourite response to my vegan cooking: ‘I can’t believe that is vegan’!
Over the weekend, I celebrated my 25th birthday, along with my engagement with my friends in Oxford. I looked around for some prices for a vegan celebration cake – and not to my surprise they were all super expensive.
I have been working on this recipe for a little while (and have taste tested it with Alan’s colleagues) before I made it for our engagement (and my birthday) party. My favourite response that you can get from non-vegans when eating some vegan baked good is ‘I can’t believe that is vegan’ and so the Can’t believe it’s Vegan! Coconut Cake is born!
This cake is super easy, versatile and nice and fluffy – it’ll be a winner recipe that you’ll go back to again and again.
Can’t believe it’s Vegan! Coconut Cake
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees. Grease and flour your cake pan (I used a 30cm round pan).
- Cream together margarine, sugar, coconut milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour to creamed mixture, beating until just mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cake onto cooling rack.
- Cool completely and top with frosting and decorations.
Happy birthday and engagement to me!
Show us your Can’t believe it’s Vegan! Coconut Cake creations using #ReasonablyVegan 🙂