Cauliflower cheese is where nutrition meets filth. We’ve tried various vegan cheese sauce recipes, but always they weren’t quite ‘cheesy’ enough. (Although our mac and ‘cheese’ recipe with roasted butternut squash is delicious!)
Last night I whipped up a cauliflower cheese recipe with a sauce so rich in flavour and spices you’ll understand why I dubbed it “kick-ass”. It’s got a spicy kick, but the cauliflower is barely cooked and deliciously crunchy. If you don’t like the idea of raw cauliflower — don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it! — you could steam the cauliflower first. But it won’t be nearly as exciting.
Time: 10 minutes prep, 1 hour to cook
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 200ml soya or almond milk
- 200g vegan cheese
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce (or your favourite hot sauce)
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Break the cauliflower into small florets. Trim and thinly slice the stalk. Peel and chop the potatoes and carrots.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes in salted water, adding the carrots halfway through. Drain and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the Dijon mustard, soy sauce, a large dash of Tabasco (as much as you dare), a large handful of nutritional yeast flakes, a good shake of smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Gradually add the plant milk while continuing to blend on a low speed until combined.
- Add the cauliflower to a large Pyrex dish. Cover with the cheese sauce and mix until it’s thoroughly coated all over.
- Grate the vegan cheese over the top. Season with black pepper — you can never have enough!
- Bake for 30 minutes until the topping has developed a good crust.
Have you taken the kick-ass cauliflower cheese challenge? Post your results on Instagram and tag us!