Jess wasn’t feeling well today so I improvised a pasta recipe, packed full of goodness to help her feel better! I wanted something light and full of goodness: fresh greens, tomatoes, a vitamin C boost, and chilli flakes to clear the sinuses / because Jess loves chilli flakes. It takes ten minutes to cook, it’s cheap to make and you’ve probably got the ingredients, it’s delicious. What more can you ask for in a pasta recipe?
No prep, 10 minutes to cook – makes two servings
- 160g fusilli or penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, or 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- Large handful of spring greens (can substitute with fresh spinach or kale)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Chilli flakes
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Add the pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook it al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the spring greens into 1cm strips (remove the thicker stems).
- Heat the garlic in a frying pan with a splash of olive oil, adding the chopped greens when the pan is reasonably hot.
- Sauté the greens with a good pinch of Italian seasoning and chilli flakes – as many as you dare! While they cook, chop the tomato into large chunks.
- When the greens are wilted, stir in the tomato and tomato paste. Continue to cook for a few minutes until the tomato has softened, but not disintegrated.
- Add the contents of the pan to the drained pot of pasta, mix it all up, season and add a hearty dash of lemon juice.
If you want to add vegan-friendly protein to the recipe, drain a can of chickpeas and toast them with the garlic, or add some rinsed red kidney beans / green lentils with the tomato and paste. Have fun with it!