Coming from an Italian background, I grew up eating pizza. To this day, it has to be one of my favourite things to eat. On most of my Sunday afternoons growing up, my dad would make homemade pizza for us to eat while watching the car racing.
Since then, my choice of topping has changed slightly, but not my love of a good pizza base. Here is the best way to make the essential homemade pizza base, that will impress time and time again.
What you need:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dried active baking yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown soft sugar
- 350ml (12 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 425g (15 oz) plain flour
- 1-2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon of mixed Italian herbs
How to make it:
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the warm water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir the salt and oil into the yeast mixture. Mix in half of the flour.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into clean bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour – make sure you keep the bowl somewhere warm! Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 220 C. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a tray, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
- Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the toppings and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
This is where your creativity comes in. There are no rules with this part of the recipe; look in your fridge for inspiration! Whatever you do, make sure not to forget the VioLife Pizza Cheese a great addition to your lovely vegan pizza toppings! Engevita Savoury Yeast Flakes also make a quick and easy ‘cheese’ sauce that works really well on a pizza too.
Also note that the pizza bases will freeze, so are great to make a big batch on in advance. Just make sure that you roll them out flat before wrapping them up and putting them into the freezer to ensure that they defrost and can be used easily.
Show us your vegan pizza creations using #ReasonablyVegan 🙂